Monday, May 2
My body feels like it’s been through a major workout and looks like it’s been beat, but all of my crap is moved! And boy, do I have a lot of crap. It’s been an exhausting couple of days. Makes me truly admire people who live in tiny houses!
So the actual move went well. The moving guys were great. Two thumbs up to Two Men and a Truck (actually took 3 men to move all my stuff). They were so nice and laughing and friendly. Don’t think I would be like that if I had to move people everyday for a living… and they had another job after mine. Just goes to show you, mood and attitude means a ton.
I have so much crap, I had to make two more trips on Sunday. That was not planned and not a welcome thought after all the moving Saturday. Every time I thought I had everything, I saw something else. I also had to clean…. ugh.. and wrangle the cats and get them moved.
I have two cats. Cats are not fond of change, and mine are not fond of being confined and riding in a car. So second endorsement coming here… kudos to Cat-in-a-bag. I saw this video on Facebook about Cat-in-a-Bag… a canvas bag with a neck at one end with a Velcro strap for tightening and a zipper at the other end. The premise is that the cat does not feel quite as confined with the head being free and the bag is big enough for them to move their legs. It’s supposed to keep them a little calmer. The video kitties had no problem having something slipped over their heads… mine, well, lets just say it took a little more coaxing, but once in and I got them situated in the car they seemed ok. There wasn’t much howling. No freaking out until I got them out of the car and was carrying them inside. For a few hours, Spot (yes that’s his name) would not come out of his bag and Angel (these were the names they came with) hung out in the bathtub.
When I finally sat down last night, I remembered I did not clean out my freezer at the apartment and I think I left a clock on the wall. Keys were already turned in… I also checked my email. Trying to be on top of things, I had placed a flower delivery order for Mother’s Day. To my surprise, there was a delivery confirmation… they were delivered yesterday. Obviously I was not thinking straight when I placed that order. Oh well, the thought was there.
So here are my tips for moving to anyone getting ready to do so:
- Make sure you have wine..
- Do not pack the corkscrew.
- Have frozen pizza available… when it’s 8:00 pm and you’re tired and hungry, it hits the spot along with that wine.
- Mark the box with the coffee pot and coffee in LARGE, BOLD letters and put a coffee cup in with them. Make sure you know where that box is.
- Before you unpack anything, makeup your bed, hang your shower curtain and get your soap out. When you are ready to shower and drop in your bed, its done.
- Have a sense of humor.
- Most importantly, have awesome friends that help you. I have two that have helped me every single time I’ve moved. I LOVE them.