As we await the outcome of my chalk paint project, thought I would catch you guys up on my summer. I took a bucket list trip. I had not intended on doing anything like that this year. My friend and I were just going to take a short, non-extravagant trip to get away. Well, a couple of bottles of wine later on a cold February evening, we ended up planning a trip to Greece. And not just any trip, we were going to board a tall sailing ship and sail around the Greek Islands. And that’s just what we did.
A little history. Several years ago, I began perusing the internet for group travel; specifically, travel designed for solo or single travelers. Came across one that intrigued me but was more than I was willing to spend at the time. Ever since, I’ve stalked this site. Three or four glasses of wine into the conversation, I brought up this site and mentioned this little Greece trip they had listed and things went from there…
So, yes, we went with a group of 32 single travelers to Greece. Our trip began in Athens and we sailed to Rhodes, Bodrum-Turkey, Daylan River-Turkey, Santorini, and Hydra. Check out some of my pictures under Adventure Pics on the top menu. It was exhilarating, exhausting, exciting and everything in between. If you every have the opportunity to go on a trip with a group of strangers, Do It! You meet some wonderfully interesting people. For me, that’s half the fun.
A few interesting things from my trip (FB friends – old stuff for you!):
- Bright orange “singles” sign at the airport is a source of laughter for Greek teenagers.
- I got pooped on by a pigeon in Athens.
- Greek tour guides like to share copious amounts of details. Info overload ..
- The scale of some of these monuments i.e. Parthenon, Temple of Zeus, are unbelievable.
- I shed a few tears when the sails went up on our first night .. could have been the champagne…
- Of the 70ish crew members there were 10 nationalities represented. Of the 178 passengers, there were 10.
- You most definitely feel a tall sailing ship moving and rocking. If you get motion sickness – not for you.
- Amazing how you can misplace things in a tiny cabin…
- Amazing that it can be ridiculously hard to find your cabin on a small ship.. again, could have been the champagne… and ouzo.
- I heard more disco music in 10 days than I’ve heard in 10 years.
- “Entrees” on our menu were starters. “Les Plats” were the main course. Yep, a French themed menu on a Greek cruise…
- “Sea Episodes” on land are real.
- New York cabbies got nothin’ on Turkish cabbies 😳
- The Swedish family on board most definitely looked, well… Swedish.
- Our nurse on the ship was also a waiter … lots of multitasking.
- Apostle Paul visited Rhodes.
- Watch the swinging doors on a sailing ship… they can be deadly.
- Santorini was inhabited before 2000 BC.
- You most definitely do not want to get stuck in a dungeon in a castle.
- We had a waiter named Titot.
- I rode a camel in Turkey named Arab.
- Portholes in swimming pools can entertain adults for at least an hour.
- A sulfur warm water bath followed with mud does make your skin feel great, if not stinky.
- Grilled octopus is yummy.
- Group travel is truly amazing.